N I C O L A H E N L E Y
NICOLA HENLEY'S textile pieces are made by a combination of dying, painting, and screen-printing cotton calico and texturing the surface with various materials stitched into the cloth. The change of scale from bold printing and painting to the intimacy of close stitching helps to convey the concept of near detail with open space of a landscape or seascape.
Nicola's work is composed by studying birds and their flight in relation to the natural environment. By watching and drawing their motion she aims to capture a sense of scale and movement within space.
Each piece of work also examines our inner state, using birds to express those emotions and concepts of life both on a personal and a universal level. The work links the abstract sensations of what she feels with hints of the figurative reality in a particular place.
Shorelines is a new body of work created for a solo show in 2015 at Timeless Textiles, NSW Australia.
"Coming from Ireland, the scale and expanse, intensity of colour and variety of what I saw rolled over me like a wave. Being immersed in such a powerful new landscape I focused, as always on the birds, and tried to depict the way in which they fitted into the environment, like actors in a vast stage of natural beauty. My focus was on where sky meets land, sea meets sky and land meets the sea.
Trying to hold onto the essence of Laurieton from my drawings, my new work represents the memories and their lingering affect on me as an artist. They are pieces that evoke the intense moments of observation and my connection with place and nature."
- XL Group, HQ Dublin, Ireland
- Cunard Cruiseline
- British Crafts Council
- Embroiderer's Guild
- The John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford
- British Rail
- Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto, Japan
- Galerie Pousse, Tokyo, Japan
- Microsoft Ireland, Dublin
- 2015 RDS National Crafts Awards, The William Smith O'Brien Perpetual Challenge Cup. Winner in category Established Embellished Textiles.
- 2015 Shorelines, Timeless Textiles Gallery, Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
- 2014 Elemental Dialogue, Enistymon Courthouse Gallery, Clare, Ireland
- 2013 Timeless Textiles Gallery, solo show. Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
- 2011 Crafts Council, Knit & Stitch Show. RDS, Dublin.
- 2011 Year of Crafts Exhibition. Glor, Ennis. Group show.
- 2008 Kilkenny Arts Festival, solo show, Grennan Mill, Ireland
- 2007 SOFA Chicago, Irish Arts & Crafts Council Show, Chicago, USA
- 2006 Hibernia, solo show, Florida USA
- 2004 Glor, two person show. Ennis. Co. Clare.
- 2003 Scottish Gallery, Edinburgh Kenny Gallery, Galway, Ireland.
- 2001 Guinness Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
- 2000 Contemporary Applied Arts, London Primavera, Cambridge, England
- 1999 Primavera, Cambridge, England
- 1998 Cloths of Gold, Contemporary Applied Arts, London Solo show, Galerie Pousse, Tokyo, Japan
- 1997 Solo show, HIPOTESI, Barcelona
- 1996 Solo show, Oxford Gallery , England
- 1995 Organic Surfaces, Crafts Council of Ireland, Dublin Solo show, The Scottish Gallery, Edinburgh
- 1994 Victoria and Albert Museum, British Crafts Council
- 1993 Visions of Craft, British Crafts Council Royal Festival Hall, London
- 1992 Out of the Frame, British Crafts Council tour Solo show, Galerie Pousse, Tokyo, Japan
- 1991 The Decorative Beast, British Crafts Council, tour The Scottish Gallery, Edinburgh Solo show Galerie Pousse, Tokyo, Japan
- 1990 Solo show, Galerie Pousse, Tokyo, Japan
- 1989 Solo show, Contemporary Applied Arts. London
N I C O L A H E N L E Y
Telephone: +353 (0)86 3465684